Wednesday, August 29, 2018

"ABANDONED"


This piece is one of my favorites.  It is Oil on Canvas. 5' x 4'  $1200.

A friend and I were riding on our usual early morning bike ride, when we stumbled upon this amazing building.  Because the sun was low in the sky, the cast shadows were beautiful and I knew that this was something I wanted to paint someday.  Finally the day came when I felt ready to embark on this project.  It is the old Hookdale Elevator along side the railroad tracks in Hookdale, IL, a very small rural town in southern Illinois.  The sign says "Purina Chows".  

The sense of abandonment is strong here.  It speaks to silence and uselessness, of age and loneliness. The setting of the building, standing quietly amidst isolation, next to unused railroad tracks adds to the barren feeling of the piece.


Contact: ilermartha@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pencil Portrait

This is an 8" x 10" Pencil portrait of my grandson. I started my art journey doing pencil portraits, so I do enjoy going back and ...